Financial Aid Federal Verification
Financial Aid Federal Verification
What is Federal Verification?
Federal verification is a process used to confirm data you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Verification ensures that the information students and parents report is accurate. Verification prevents ineligible students from receiving aid and helps make certain that eligible students receive the aid they are qualified for. The U.S. Department of Education may select your FAFSA for verification.
Effective from July 17, 2012, based on guidance issued from the United States Department of Education which delineates five Verification Tracking Groups, we have modified what we request from students and families. The implementation of the five groups moves toward the goal of customized verification, which limits the items that most students must verify. It is our intent to make this process as quick and painless as possible.
The Five Verification Tracking Groups for 2021-2022 & 2022-2023:
- V4-Custom Verification Group
- V5-Aggregate Verification Group
Some reasons that the U.S. Department of Education may have selected your FAFSA include:
- Incomplete information on your FAFSA
- Estimated information on your FAFSA
- Your information was outside the U.S. Department of Education's tolerance levels
- The data you provided on your FAFSA is inconsistent
Want more information about Verification?
- Verification regulations 34 CFR 668.51–61
- Federal Student Aid Handbook
If your FAFSA is selected for verification you will need to submit specific documentation to the UCCS Financial Aid Office. Not all students will have to submit the same documents.
Required Documentation for Verification: Refer to your myUCCS Portal for specific requests related to your file.
*We may request additional documentation after the initial evaluation of your file.
**Do not send us documents until we request them. Unsolicited documents may delay your processing.
Once the UCCS Office of Financial Aid, Student Employment and Scholarships receives your documents we will review your FAFSA data. In reviewing the information, we may have additional requests or clarifications that are needed. Be sure to check your UCCS email often, as requests will be sent there. Submit the requested information as soon as possible so we can continue the review of your file. Failure to submit the requested information prevents us from completing your file, you knowing your aid package, and from receiving most disbursements of funds.
Our review may result in changes to your FAFSA and in some cases, may change your aid offer. Should a change be made to your information you will receive an e-mail from the Federal FAFSA processor at the e-mail address(es) you listed on your FAFSA notifying you that there is a new Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review the information that was changed and if you have concerns or questions contact us at the e-mail address below. If you already received awards prior to verification and were subsequently selected, if once verification is complete there are changes to your awards you will receive an e-mail at your UCCS e-mail address notifying you to check your portal to review your awards. If your aid has already been disbursed, and your aid offer has changed due to verification, you may be required to pay back all or a portion of your aid.
Secure File Upload
Please do not email sensitive information such as tax returns listing social security numbers or other personally identifiable information. You should always redact social security numbers, but always list the UCCS student ID number and student name on all documents submitted.
UCCS provides a secure file upload system to submit your information and safeguard your personal data. Visit finaid.uccs.edu/upload for more information.
You can expect the processing of your verification paperwork to take up to three weeks from the date you turn in your complete documentation packet to the Office of Financial Aid.
Note: all requested documents must be received in order to have your file be reviewed.
Please also be aware that the UCCS Office of Financial Aid, Student Employment and Scholarships experiences seasonal changes in volume. These changes may affect expected processing times.
We recommend that you complete verification as soon as possible so you will know your financial aid package. You will NOT be offered aid until your file is completed. Consequently, you may be negatively impacted due to fund availability the longer you wait to submit your documents.
For students selected for verification, you must complete the process by the deadline published in the Federal Register:
- For 2021–2022 the deadline date is September 17,2022; however, corrections may not be sent by the school after September 10, 2022 and corrections may not be submitted by the student after June 30, 2022. Fall Only 2021 students would have until April 18, 2022 to complete their file.
- For 2022–2023 the deadline date is September 16,2023; however, corrections may not be sent by the school after September 9, 2022 and corrections may not be submitted by the student after June 30, 2023. Fall Only 2022 students would have until April 16, 2023 (last working business day prior to this date would be April 14, 2023) to complete their file.
Verification is complete when we have received all the requested documentation and a valid ISIR or SAR (one on which all the information is accurate and complete). This includes any necessary corrections, which must be made by the Federal Register deadlines for submitting paper or electronic corrections.
If your file is selected for verification after you have been awarded aid, the deadline for verification for most aid is thirty (30) days from the date you were notified via Information Request Letter (IRL). If verification is not completed within 30 days:
- You will not receive any additional disbursements of FSEOG funds,
- You will not be permitted to work a work-study job or have any further work-study earnings,
- You will not receive any additional Direct Subsidized Loans,
- Additionally, you must repay any FSEOG and/or Pell money already received for this year,
- Any undisbursed supplemental grants and work-study you may have been offered will be canceled,
- The treatment of any already disbursed supplemental grants and work-study will be considered on a case by case basis,
- Scholarships are examined on a case by case basis as some are subject to verification and some are not.
Your file will be placed back in to a status that will allow you to be reconsidered for all aid eligibility should you complete the verification requirements at a future date. Do realize that efc changes from verification and fund eligibility may result in a much different aid package than you previously received.
Referral of Fraud Cases
If UCCS suspects that a student has fraudulently reported data or documents in the pursuit of obtaining aid, staff will notify the Senior Executive Director of Financial Aid, Student Employment and Scholarships for them to make the referral to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG).
OIG Address and Phone Numbers
Inspector General’s Hotline Office of Inspector General U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-1500
Fax: (202) 245-7047
1-800-MIS-USED (1-800-647-8733) Hours: M, W 9–11 a.m. T, Th 1–3 p.m.
To submit a complaint online at any time, go to https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/hotline.html and click on the appropriate link.