Military Students

Military Students

Military Students

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Every student applying for financial aid must first fill out a FAFSA. It is free to apply and it can be filled out online at UCCS's School Code is 004509.

Reporting Veterans Benefits on your FAFSA

The way in which you report income and benefits on your FAFSA may differ from the way in which you report income and benefits to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Veterans benefits of any kind are tax-exempt and do not need to be reported to the IRS, but veterans benefits are considered in the need-based financial aid process and must be reported on your FAFSA.

  • Student’s veterans non-education benefits prior to the 2024-2025 FAFSA are required to be reported, which may include:
    • Disability
    • Death Pension
    • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
    • VA Educational Work Study Allowances
  • Student’s other untaxed income must also be reported on the FAFSA. For veteran or military students this may include food allowances (BAS) prior to the 24-25 school year.
  • Notice: Military housing allowance (BAH) is no longer required to be reported on your FAFSA. 
  • For students living in housing located on a military base or housing for which they receive a military housing allowance (Basic Allowance for Housing, or “BAH”), the room and board COA component must include an allowance for board only^. This applies to:
    • Independent students who receive, or whose spouses receive, a BAH or who live on a military base; and

    • Dependent students who are living with parents who are receiving a BAH or who live on a military base.

  • If the income reported on the FAFSA is not reflective of income during the award year (i.e., because you are no longer serving on active duty), you should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss a "special circumstance" to adjust these amounts from your FAFSA.


Veterans Financial Aid Overpayments

What is an overpayment?
An overpayment occurs when the student is disbursed more financial aid than the student needs.

What causes an overpayment?

  • Failure to report non-education benefits
  • Failure to report untaxed income
  • Failure to report change in credit hours (add/drop) or withdrawal to the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs
  • Failure to report that you are active duty or a dependent of an active duty spouse or parent

Overpayments must be repaid. The student will not receive any additional financial aid until the overpayment is repaid.

Education Benefits for Veterans and Dependents of Veterans

Tuition Assistance for Active Duty and Reservists

Beginning in Fall 2023, Active Duty Service Members using Military Tuition Assistance (TA) are eligible for the Active Duty Tuition Assistance Grant.

  • This grant bridges the gap between UCCS tuition, fees and required materials, and the $250/credit hour covered by TA (excludes Colorado state tuition assistance).
  • There is no application required for this grant.  Those eligible will automatically receive the grant applied to their student accounts on or shortly after census date.  This grant is non-refundable.
  • This grant applies to undergraduate degree-seeking students receiving in-state tuition rates only and does not apply to courses not approved for TA.
  • Students must apply for and authorize Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) to be eligible for grant.

Contact the Student Financial Services Office to make arrangements for third party payments.


UCCS offers several scholarships specifically for veteran and military students.

  • To apply for a scholarship, first you must fill out a Scholarship Application.
  • Choose “Military/ROTC” from the Scholarship Categories drop-down menu.


Loan Deferment for Active Duty and Reservists

Military Service Deferment
According to the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) under the Higher Education Act (HEA), a military student, who is called to active duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency, is eligible for a deferment on their FFEL, Direct Loan, or Federal Perkins Loan.

Active Duty Deferment
The College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) also allows members of the National Guard or Armed Force Reserves eligibility for deferment on their FFEL, Direct Loan, or Federal Perkins Loan. They may receive a deferment for up to 13 months after their active duty military service.

To find out if your service qualifies you for a deferment, contact the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs, and contact your lender to request a military deferment.

Additional Information

For any further information or if you have any questions, please visit UCCS's Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

Phone: (719)255-2353

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs —
Colorado Department of Veteran and Military Affairs —


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at